Western and Laval lead tight leaderboard after round one of Canadian University/College Championship
KOMOKA, Ont. – Under overcast skies, the Canadian University/College Championship got underway Tuesday at FireRock Golf Club, resulting in a three-way tie for the lead in the men’s division. Kate Johnston of the University of British Columbia (UBC) paced the women’s division, ending the day with a one-stroke advantage.
Charles Fitzsimmons of the Western University Mustangs shot 3-under par 69 to share first place, helping the Mustangs take control of the men’s team championship, while Catherine Gariépy paced the Université de Laval Rouge et Or women to first place, with a 1-over 74.
Playing a mere 15 minutes from their London, Ont. campus, the Mustangs are four strokes ahead of the Wilfrid Laurier University Golden Hawks and the Université de Laval Rouge & Or. Western is 2 under par after round one.
Three players are nose-to-nose in the men’s individual championship. Fitzsimmons, Michael Harrison (Augustana University) and Jaron Brown (Wilfrid Laurier University) all signed off on 3-under scorecards, establishing a one-stroke lead over the field.
UBC’s Kate Johnston of Ayr, Ont., fired an even-par 73, finishing one shot ahead of Gariépy in the women’s individual competition. A UBC Thunderbird has won the individual women’s title in each of the last three years.
Shania Remandaban (UBC), Laura Upenieks (University of Toronto) and Sukriti Harjai (University of Victoria) each carded 4-over 77, and are T3 behind Johnston and Gariépy.
Laval hold a one shot advantage over the Thunderbirds in the women’s team competition. The Rouge & Or collectively registered 15-over-par 234 in round one.
The individual champions in the women’s and men’s competitions receive exemptions into their respective Canadian Amateur Championship.
Click here for more information on the event, including tomorrow’s tee times and full leaderboard.
Top-5 Men’s – Team
- Western Mustangs, *143-143-286 -2
- Laurier Golden Hawks, *148-142-290 +2
- Laval Rouge et Or, *143-147-290 +2
- UBC Thunderbirds, *145-147-292 +4
- Waterloo Warriors, *144-149-293 +5
Top-5 Men’s – Individual
- Jaron Brown, Laurier Golden Hawks, *35-34-69 -3
- Charles Fitzsimmons, Western Mustangs, *35-34-69 -3
- Michael Harrison, Augustana Vikings, *34-35-69 -3
- Jackson Bowery, Western Mustangs, *36-34-70 -2
- Gordon Gibson, Toronto Varsity Blues, *35-35-70 -2
- Cameron Griffin, Humber Hawks, *34-36-70 -2
- Nicholas Workun, Ottawa Gee Gees, *37-33-70 -2
Top-5 Women’s – Team
- Laval Rouge et Or, *115-119-234 +15
- UBC Thunderbirds, *116-119-235 +16
- Victoria Vikes, *119-118-237 +18
- Waterloo Warriors, *123-125-248 +29
- Montréal Carabins, *121-129-250 +31
Top-5 Women’s – Individual
- Kate Johnston, UBC Thunderbirds, *35-38-73 E
- Catherine Gariépy, Laval Rouge et Or, *34-40-74 +1
- Sukriti Harjai, Victoria Vikes, *38-39-77 +4
- Shania Remandaban, UBC Thunderbirds, *37-40-77 +4
- Laura Upenieks, Toronto Varsity Blues, *39-38-77 +4